Friday 23 May 2014

WHAT TO WEAR ON THE NAILS WHEN PREGNANT?

Left: Aurora #ZP646
Right: Rue #ZP706

I am a big big big nail polish wearer, but I'm taking a temporary break to this excessive compulsive beauty behaviour of mine whilst I'm pregnant.

Ever since I fell pregnant, I am becoming increasingly but gradually more aware of what to put in my mouth, on my skin; and of course on my nails.

No one has told me not to wear nail polish anymore but the general advice from peers (doctors not mentioned anything and I actually didn't raise it with them either) is that less (or none) is more.

This triggered me to study a bit more of the harmful effect of wearing nail polish whilst pregnant, if any.  The result is shocking albeit they aren't seem to be fully scientifically evidence based (as I can't see the source of information), it freaked me out a little bit.  

So, what to look for in nail polishes when you are pregnant?  They need to be:

  • Free of formaldehyde
  • Free of toluene
  • Free of dibutyl phthalate, also known as DBP, a petroleum product that has been proven to pass through breastmilk. 
Also when you are applying nail polishes, try to keep the ventilation in the room that you are in as best as possible.  I would also advise to avoid going to nail spa and the likes of it just to be on the safe side.  Choosing acetone-free nail remover is also a safer option, too.   Also making sure that you wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.

You might now ask, what brands; if any are mom-to-be choices when it comes to nail polishes safety in pregnancy?

There are number of brands (mostly American), amongst which Zoya is the most popular one, and seems to be the most readily available in the UK.  You can find Zoya products in health food shops such as the Whole Foods Market.  In the end, I picked up two colours that I know I would enjoy wearing them all the time throughout different seasons.  They are actually really nice polishes even without the chemicals, they general last on my nails up to 5 days which is pretty amazing!

Despite knowing that they are free from the three main chemical products in their nail polishes, I have definitely drastically cut down on the regularity I wear nail polishes, and are enjoying my bare nails more.  I have definitely noticed a stark difference this has made on my nails, they look much healthier, and no yellowness, too!  I have also stocked up on some false nails to wear at times when I'm desperate for me prettier and more diversified colours and patterns on my nails.

What's your experience when it comes to wearing nail polishes when pregnant?  Does it make you think to choose 'healthier' nail polishes even if you are not pregnant?




No comments:

Post a Comment