Thursday 7 November 2013

Pampering Trial - Skincare Treatments - experiences unfold

Cleansing, Toning and Moisturising are 3 essential steps to my skincare routine - day and evening.  On top of that, I do like to keep my skin in top-notch conditions (well, I try anyway).  In the past 6 months or so, I have been focusing on trying these products out.  

Word of warning though, as a result of my great adventure in the skincare department, I ended up having breakouts which I didn't normally have, you can read here for more of the aftercare story.


For me an all-round treatment of good skin include two major parts: Hydration and Exfoliation/ Detox.

I have dry/ sensitive skin, dry patches around the nose area is the most annoying problem for my skin so hydration becomes a very important part of my treatment routine.  However when products are too greasy or if I hydrate my skin too intensely, I tend to have breakouts; and I believe that is because of my skin is relatively sensitive.  So I use relatively mild hydrating mask on a regular basis to inject the moisture back to my skin.


These are the Beauty Diary Facemasks from Taiwan which I swear by them for a good couple of years now.  They are relatively cheap to get if you are travelling on the other side of the world.  They are also available on Amazon.  The Beauty Diary offers a range of masks from hydrating, to detoxifying.  They are papermasks so it's hassle free.  I like using them because it hydrates my skin without making them even more sensitive or it doesn't overload my skin.  This is the only hydrating masks I use.  So far I don't have problems using these.

Next up the line are these two products:



Dermalogica gentle cream exfoliant - This is a great product as it exfoliates the skin in the form of a mask.  You get a slight tingly feeling when you first put it on and you only need to leave it on your face for a maximum of 10 minutes.  This product contains Lactic and Hydroxy Acid which apparently eats the dead skin away to achieve the exfoliate result.  I do feel that my skin is softer and brighter after I put this on but it leaves my skin slightly on the dry side of things.  But then that's just me because I have dry skin.  However the brightening result is not lasting.  A good product but I don't think I would repurchase it after I finish this tube, which I think will last me ages.  I have also been advised by the skincare expert whilst visiting the Dermalogica counter for a Skin Mapping Analysis I should avoid using this good stuff when my skin has gone through breakout.  I should let my skin return to its normal state and start using it again, it is entirely because my skin is a little sensitive; so it may work differently to you so you should ask an expert before using/ purchasing this.  Now that my skin is back to its normal state (still with scars fading and healing), I have tried to use this mask once and it's not created any nasty reactions to my skin.  I will keep using this but to a minimum, perhaps once a month instead of once a week; and report back to see how this has helped (or not) my skin.

The Ren Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask must be one of the most talked about beauty products here in the bloggersphere.  I bought this because of all the hypes I've heard.

Not Recommended for Sensitive Skin

I wouldn't say I'm totally blown away by it but I can see more of a difference in my skin than the Dermalogica gentle cream exfoliant.  They work pretty much the same way.  The renewal mask contains glycolactic acid (as it says on the tin) which also eats away dead skin so your skin will be left regenerated as it were.  I can see a brighter complexion after I use this mask and the effect is slightly more lasting.    This mask has a strong citrusy/ orangey scent which, honestly puts me off slightly because I'm not a big fan of any orangey scented products.  I have learnt my lesson though because after 2 weeks of using this product, I started to have breakouts which I didn't normally have, 3 spots appeared on my face at one go.  I spent a long time figuring out what might have caused my skin irritated.  Then after doing some research, I found out that this mask is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN.  I think part of the reason that caused breakouts on my face is because of this as I do have sensitive skin but I cannot say this is the sole product that caused it.  However I have stopped using it now and it's become one of the many masks that my sister owns.

Finally, I can't leave you guys alone without inserting a product by La Roche- Posay (I think I have found my skincare-husband, that is La Roche-Posay).


This effaclar A.I. Targeted Breakout Corrector is one of the most amazing products I came across.  A while back my skin was stressed and I experienced a little more breakouts than I would normally do (I figured this is due to the face that I have been putting on different facemasks too often for over a month of time).  To treat my spots I used the Origins Super Spot Remover, which I did a review on you can click here to refresh your memories.  The spot remover gel is such a potent product, that after it's treated the spot it would leave the affected area extremely dry for at least a week (no joke and not exaggerating at all, it becomes extremely dry and caused dry patches), so I have stopped using the spot remover gel as it's caused some irritation on my skin.  As a result it also leaves a 'breakout mark' which is not nice at all.  This Targeted Breakout Corrector works wonder by fading the mask significantly in less than a week's time which I think is pretty amazing, and is good at healing and calming new blemishes.  Now I stick to this bad boy for treating my blemishes and they are effective - especially for people who have sensitive skin.

Anything that is too potent and leaves your skin distressed is not ideal for anyone, let alone people who have sensitive skin like me.  I use this corrector as part of my add-on treatment routine if there is any imperfected marks casued by blemishes.  You could need a tiny amount and massage it lightly on the affected area.  Trust me, you will see a difference overnight; you should continue use it until the mark is gone, this is my experience using it as someone who has sensitive skin.

If you have any good recommendations, do let me know!  I'm always interested in trying out new (and effective) masks, especially for dry/ sensitive skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment