Wednesday 3 July 2013

Lippy Edit: the moisturising type


When it comes to moisturising my very dry lips, it's a 356-day duty.  I'm also willing to venture out a bit to find the best (most effective) product in the market.  I am currently surrounded by 7 lip products and I thought I would take you through them one by one.  One of which I have used up which is crazy so in fact, I am juggling between 6 remaining products.


My all time favourite has to be Vaseline which I have gone through numerous tubs and flavours. Vaseline Limited Edition Pink Bubbly  is what I am using in the morning after my gym session followed by a refreshing shower.  I slap these on my lips as a prep for wearing lipstick later on.  I got this a couple of years ago when it was first exclusively available at Selfridges - I remembered I rushed down to Selfridges and snapped up at least 10 of these for myself and for friends and family - crazy, eh?  But the black and pink packaging makes applying Vaseline that much more chic!  It tastes fantastic, too and of course it does the job well - a reliable product that never fails.  This little cult product will set you back at £3.49 which is £1.50 more expensive than your average Vaseline (£1.99).

The next two products I feel they are sisters products by their looks - first up meet my EOS Strawberry Sorbet Smooth Sphere lip balm  (£3.99) - only available on amazon or ebay, and in the U.S.  A Christmas stocking present from my sister a couple of years ago and it is still going strong.  This together with my latest lip balm addition the Balmi Cube Lip Balm in Raspberry flavour (available in Boots at £4.99) are on my bedside table.  Whenever I walk pass my bed, I would just grab either of these, twist and open then apply them straight onto my lips.  Both of these give a light moisturising power, great for topping up and more short term, quick hydrating boost on those dry lips.  Both of them have great flavour and are a joy to wear.

My sister (Forks and Brushes) has done a review on the Balmi Cube Lip Balm, you can click here for a more detailed review.


Caudalie is a brand which I discovered from watching too many Lisa Eldridge's beauty videos on YouTube.  First I had my eyes set on its Beauty Elixir which you will have heard me raving about it so many a times.  Then it was the Divine oil, now I have used up its Lip Conditioner in record time!

I can say that after trying so many lip treatment products, Caudalie's Lip Conditioner is by far the BEST one.  It costs £5.50 which is slightly more expensive than your average Vaseline, but worth every single penny of it and considering how effective the formula is, it's definitely got a luxury brand reputation but a drugstore price tag.  I applied this just before I dooze off to sleep, about 2 layers on each lip; the next morning when I get up; my lips felt conditioned and no flaky skin to peel off!  When it's applied on the lips, it felt very creamy but I didn't feel that it was greasy at all, the consistency is just right.  However the only down side is that I've used this up within a month which is amazingly quick.  I am not sure if that's because of its creamy formula so the product gets used up quicker than other products or the fact that I probably have been overloading my lips with this product without me noticing it.  When I have used up a few more of my lip products, this is definitely on my repurchase list.

I am such a fan of La Roche Posay's skincare products, not only because it does work wonder to my skin, it is so mild that it doesn't cause any irritation to my very sensitive skin.  When I saw La Roche Posay's Nutritic Lips, I couldn't resist from trying it.  The packaging of it reminds me of Caudalie's Lip Conditioner and I have to admit that I was led to believe that they are two very similar products and may have a very similar formula.  I think I was only half right.  The Nutritic Lips is claimed to provide 'Transforming Care for Very Dry Lips', so I decided to use it as a lip treatment product at night just before I go to sleep and hoping that it would have the same result as the Caudalie's one.  However I was left a little disappointed - it is an average product which moisturises the surface of my lips.  The formula is perhaps less creamy if compared with the Caudalie's Lip Conditioner.  I didn't feel that it achieved a 'lip treatment' result.  Having said that, it didn't leave my lips feeling dry the next morning.  However I would say this is more of a day time topping up lip moisturising product rather than using it as an overnight treatment.  I still put this together with my EOS Sphere Lip Balm and the Balmi Cube Lip Balm together on my bed side table, and I would just grab whichever one reaches my hands when I need it.  Now that the weather is not as fiercely cold as before, my lips can manage a slightly less heavy formula to maintain the condition of my lips.


Last but not least, as if the above products won't satisfy me; I still have another 2 lip products to go.  Maybelline Baby Lips is one of the most frequently raved beauty products in the bloggersphere.  Since it is not available in the UK (which I don't know why), my curiosity of it has become more intense.  Until I travelled to Hong Kong few months ago, I saw these versions of Maybelline Baby Lips (which is also unavailable in the UK), I quickly snapped one up because I thought they were what caused all the hype.  I later on found out that I got the wrong 'baby lips'!  Nevertheless, I still use it.  I put it in my bathroom so that gives me one more opportunity to moisturise my lips whenever I am in the house.  It has got a really nice fruity scent to it, it is moisturising but it doesn't have the 'lip treatment' result that other products have.  I wouldn't repurchase it again just because it's got nothing special to it.

Finally, the Queen of all of my lip balm has to go to Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Gloss and will set you back a whooping £20.  Worth the price tag?  I think so.  I use it really frequently and I keep it in my makeup bag when I'm on the go.  I love the packaging to start with, the striking red squeezy tube makes applying a lip balm that much more elegant in a restaurant, in the ladies' powder room, shopping or wherever you are when you are out and about.  The formula of the Eight Hour Cream line is not to be questioned.  I would say this Lip Protectant Gloss is definitely a heavy duty product and is especially ideal for anyone who suffers from chapped lips in the winter.  It moisturises your lips by giving it a protectant shield minus the greasiness.  It's also great if you want a bit of gloss over your lip colour by giving it a bit of moisture - this is a fantastic product.  Would I repurchase it again?  Yes I would - this is a luxury product that worths all the hype and money for.


Have you tried any of these products before?  Which one would you want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment